Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The "Monk" city...

There are some places that elude you - they are so close and yet so far because no matter how much you try, things never really fall in place. San Francisco is one such city for me. I have wanted to visit SFO ever since I first saw snapshots of its undulating streets, a few years ago. Watching Monk brought the city closer still and when a place is only a few hundred miles away, one thinks that the visit would happen soon too. But despite many plans and many people, my visits to SFO did not happen for almost a year and half now and then finally things fell in place and I reached, I saw the worst of the city. The tempestuous city was not very forgiving in the two days of our stay there. Welcomed by relentless rain and strong, gusty winds, I was forced to just think ahead and plan another visit (I am not giving up yet!!). But one thing I did learn from this visit was that I love the city. 

I guess, few would agree when I say that cities, like people have a vibe - some are indifferent, some friendly, some flirtatious and some plain hostile. SFO has definitely been flirting with me and I know I am going back another day - to walk through her bridges and streets and to listen to the stories that rumble deep down inside her. 

That said, this visit was fun too - biking in the rain with friends, hoping for a break in the rain - what's not to love. I love biking and although I would have liked a different weather, this was new too. And of course, I can't possibly forget the sight of my sweatshirt at the end of the two hour bike ride, splattered with mud all over as if it was worn by a dog having fun at the nearest puddle... (It was bad - really bad !!!)













No comments:

Post a Comment