Saturday, August 18, 2012

Likir and the Budhdha on the hilltop...

Likir Monastery or Likir Gompa (Klud-kyil) is a Buddhist monastery in Ladakh, northern India, located approximately 52 kilometres (32 mi) west of Leh. It is picturesquely situated on a little hill in the valley near the Indus River and the village of Saspol about 9.5 kilometres (5.9 mi) north of the Srinagar to Leh highway.



 I particularly like this despite the shake. Most of these snaps were taken in the confines of a SUV peering through windows and squeezing between people's profiles. And so a few of them were shaken but this snap holds a greater meaning for me - perhaps because of the fuzzy image of the lady. To me, the moment I saw it on the big screen, it represented the truth. It represented us and modern life speeding fast across the heritage, beauty and nature of a place like Ladhakh. This crown of India was literally over run by tourists in the summer season when we went there and money was fast becoming a driving force. Yes - the people were wonderful and extremely genuine but how long with this simple nature last in the face of winds of modernism and change.

 I wonder how long and somewhere deep inside me, there is a growing fear when i think. 
I hope for the best but I guess, I should be prepared for the worst.



This is one of the most memorable sights of Likir - the golden Budhdha peering down from the hilltop. It almost feels divine... even to an atheist like me. 






No comments:

Post a Comment