Sunday, July 15, 2012

Footloose in Ladhakh...

Dreams are what you live for - against all odds. They give you something to look forward to even as the going gets tough. And I have always been a dreamer. While most of my dreams are too big to come true in a few days, there was this one. I have long cherished a desire to visit Leh in India and it was something that could be done with a few days and some sturdy finances.... ;) 

And when I finally reached a stage where I could afford to spend both and one of the first things I wanted to do was to visit this place. It is of course thanks to my brother and my friend, A, that this trip actually happened.

Leh is the capitol of the himalayan region of Ladhakh and I have wanted to visit it for at least a good 5 years now. And despite the tourists, the terrain, the fitness levels required, the costs and the planning needed, it was a place I absolutely loved and a trip, I hope to remember for long. There are very few places where I have loved the people as much as the landscape, where I have really, deeply considered coming back, just to be with the locals. Leh is that place for me. The place and its people have captured my heart. I loved their simplicity and honesty. I loved how truly helpful and straight-forward they were, far from the corrupting influence of the cities. I loved how life was uncomplicated when people just spoke their mind clearly and honestly without any fear or malice. 

Leh and the region of Ladhakh is a beautiful place - and I need a lot more time and a lot many more words to paint a real picture of the place. And that is the plan ! I plan to start another space (Yes ! yet another addition) for my travels and escapades but that is still a work in progress. But meanwhile, I do have some vignettes of Ladhakh to build up the tempo. 

Hope you enjoy these snaps as much as i did clicking them...  


No comments:

Post a Comment